Thursday, February 9, 2012

Everythings inspirational...even if it's bad

I currently have five other books I'm working on...or should I say I have to work on.  The tricky part is figuring out which one to finish first.  As if that's not bad enough, it seems every day I run into something else that inspires another book idea.  Are all writers like that?

I started a fictional love story some three years ago and read the chapters to my mother as I finished them.  I'm up to chapter 9.  I'm not certain exactly how many chapters it will take to get to the end, but the outline of the book is complete.  It just depends on how much meat and potatoes I use to fill in all of the blanks.  I'm thinking it will end up around 25 to 45...vast I know lol. 

Since the day I last saved something to that particular part of my thumb drive, my mother and godmother have been bugging me to finish it.  "I have to know how it ends!"  Of course I offered to give them the ending, but being the die hard readers they are...they wouldn't hear of it.  I'm in a bit of a quandary though.  Do I finish that book or start the next book in the series I just published.  What to do...what to do?

I opened those dusty old files and read them over the weekend.  Now that I've re-read it, I feel the need to finish it myself.  Of course, it doesn't help that I let my fiance read it and now I have him begging me for the ending either.  I think my goal will be to finish the fictional love story within the next four months and to start and finish the next book in the series by the end of this year...if we're all still here that is...it is 2012 afterall :)

Truth is, every day I find something I want to write about.  There seems to be inspiration in everything these days.  I do tend to write better when something tragic happens in my life.  Not necessarily death by any stretch of the imagination, more something that stirs the pot so to speak.  Must be the whole depressed artist thing who knows.  Think about it.  Some of our greatest writers or greatest literary pieces have been done by tortured souls.  There's something to be said for sadness. 

The only problem with all of this inspiration is the fact that sometimes, when you have so much you want to write, you don't write anything.  It's hard to start when you have starting points all over the place...it clutters the mind.  I once had an accomplished author tell me that you have to be working on more than one piece at a time to be successful.  I wonder if that's true?  I don't think everyone writes the same way...and by the same way I mean protocol not actual words.  What works for one author may not work for the next; or maybe I'm just not ready to admit that I don't know how to work that way...yet. 

I know one thing for certain, I must start writing SOMETHING.  I'm getting married this year...love abounds!  That settles it, love story it is :)  the jilted forty somethings will have to wait for the sequel...now off of this blog and on to my thumb drive!

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment